Sunday, January 10, 2010

foxes & cake


It's still winter here, and for me anyway I always want to have the oven on around 2pm. I remember my mom would make us ginger cake on cold winter afternoons. I did the same this week & the boys who were napping and the men in the shop loved it.

While the cake was baking I started this project, not sure where it will lead but there may be chickens dancing with that nicely dressed fox.

















Ginger Cake 350 25 min.
1 stick unsalted butter , cream with
1 cup brown sugar, add
2 eggs, one at a time, add alternately
1/2 c molasses ( or sorghum & honey)
3/4 c hot water
and dry
2 1/3 c total flour (mixed WW & AllP)
1/4 t salt
1 t b. powder
1/4 t b. soda
1 t ginger
1/2 t mace or cardamom
1 t cinn
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t allspice

I made 2 small cakes with this, one for the shop & one for the house. Great with powdered sugar on top.


2 comments:

Juniper said...

Good looking fox Lily! Can't wait to see the dancing chicken.

Stephanie said...

Hi Lily, I met you at the Craftacular, not this year but last, and we traded for some of your darling wooden people. My daughter got a dollhouse this year and I notice that she wants to play with the ones you made much more than the ones from Melissa and Doug. :) Do you still have them at Capitol Kids or do you have plans for putting more on etsy in the future? Take care, Stephanie