Friday, May 7, 2010

Homemade Vanilla Pudding with Rhubarb Compote




    Sometimes when the boys take an extra long nap in the afternoon I find myself in the kitchen, with dinner prepped and looking for something else to make.  This Wednesday afternoon I found a recipe for Homemade Vanilla Pudding and thought, I can make that.  Now for no big self-righteous reason my kids have never had pudding,  so I thought they would love it, as I do.

And it is surprisingly easy, but it takes attention, so it's best to do it while the kids are sleeping, rather than when they are under your feet. 
 Serves 4:

1 cup sugar ( I would reduce this next time to 3/4 c.)
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
      - whisk together in a bowl and set aside
2 c. milk ( not skim)
vanilla bean, halved lengthwise & scrape seeds out.
      ** my vanilla beans have been soaking in cheap rum for 2 years, making their own vanilla extract & killer rum flavored beans, try it!!
       -  Heat milk & vanilla seeds over medium heat for about 7 min. don't scald, just heat until you see tiny bubbles form on the edges of the pan.
       - Pour heated milk into the sugar mixture and mix into a light batter.  Pour back into the pan and heat for 5 min. on low heat.
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
      - pour a small (3/4 c)  amount of hot milk/sugar mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly ( you're tempering the yolks ).  Than add the heated egg yolk mixture back into the milk/sugar mixture, whisking constantly over medium heat,  until it is thickened & bubbly, 10 more minutes.
4 T butter, cut into small pieces.
       - once pudding this thick & bubbly, pour it into a bowl through a fine sieve, to get out any pods or egg schmutz, add butter and mix until it is melted & incorporated.  



I then poured the vanilla pudding into prepared bowls with Rhubarb compote on the bottom for a little drama.  Chill and serve your adoring family who will think you are magic.






Bravo to desert on a Wednesday.

2 comments:

Juniper said...

Can I come over to yours??!! This looks absolutely delicious! You can not find Rhubarb here but I think I will try this recipe with a fig or apricot compote as they soon are in season here. Thank you for sharing it, lucky family of yours to be eating it!

Elizabeth @claritychaos said...

I couldn't get past the idea of having children who take naps -- and at the same time!!! -- to actually let the bit about the recipe sink in....

e.