Tuesday, February 23, 2010

reaffirmation: write an artist statement

We're slowly getting back into the swing of things here at my house. A new computer is on the way, husband is on the mend and while still grieving for a loved one I am feeling hopeful about the future. Since I really don't have much creatively to show you, I wanted to share this great tool for all of you crafty friends.
Write an artist statement!
Don't think that title applies to you??? well it does! So we make our kids Halloween costumes and gifts for friends, it still counts YOU ARE AN ARTIST. Every choice you make from the material, the color, the construction or how you frame your photograph is a mark of your aesthetic. So why not?? Go here & follow this wonderful writing exercise and see what you come up with. You don't have to show it to anyone, but this simple act is the best thing you can do to plant both feet on the ground and call yourself an artist. Reference back to it whenever you need a reaffirmation to what you do and why.

This is my artist statement I wrote for a show I had last year using the link.
.....ahhheeeghm...

I paint, I sew, I bake, knit, print, stencil, cut, paste and on and on as a reaction to my everyday life. Not feeling it necessary now to make a large statement about the affairs of the world, but to instead find beauty on my kitchen counter. I am satisfied by my practice of making art by doing, working, collecting, experimenting and sharing every bit. Many of you know that I am much like my three year old, often saying “ look what I made!” I revel everyday knowing that I am working in the space where I live and my practice of creating is near me always.

My life as an 'artist' has changed greatly in the last 4 years since I committed to focus on my growing family. While for some this change slows them down, the pace of children has helped me immensely. An hour has never meant so much. The material that I use has grown too, fabric, bits of trim, a small shovel, buttons, a soft curve, rusty nails, outdated playground equipment or a new book. All of these added to my typical art supplies surround me in my studio waiting to be noticed and thrown in the mix. The online community of artisans, crafters and other mothers, letting their lives and art be seen by everyone has opened my eyes to the possibility of creating art with the simple truth of my life.

The Ball Jar series of paintings and prints, titled “ Spring Collection” came out of recognizing that inspiration is all around me. In an attempt to be more self-sufficient, like so many others, canning and preserving is a part of my yearly work now. These jars, old and new became an obvious image for me. They are keepers of the past and the intention for the future. Memento's of a walk or a simple storage solution for your junk. The Jars themselves as relics of the past, labels, volume amounts, shapes and sizes all unique to my kitchen yet universal to many. The collections that live inside each jar are independent, that is each composition was arrived at through different means. The egg shells, for example, are from a story my brother told me of his travels. The beach finds, a collection sent to us from dear family friends. They all come together, uniting as a series because of the vessel, the holder, a piece of glass used by so many, but really looked at only by a few.

Lily Hoyer-Winfield 2009


so you're turn. let me know how it goes! good luck, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Elizabeth @claritychaos said...

I love this Lily. I'm off to check out the link. :)