Tuesday, February 8, 2011

from the north country : ten finger workshop

Staying warm : a few crafts from the snowy north


This sweater mitten tutorial from five green acres changed my life this winter.  I've made about 20 of them, for friends and family.  They are satisfyingly quick, economical and most importantly warm.  This set was for a family who has an annual camp out on a frozen lake, I have yet to participate but I thought their digits could use some extra protection.


Insulated Curtains ,  a must have for a drafty old house that sees 4 months of  winter winds that come from the north. 


These curtains were really simple to make too.  Heavy Ikea fabric and a quilted mattress cover, that had been torn by the washing machine, made for an simple panel curtain.  Made a bit longer than the windows so it can be tucked on the sill to keep drafts down.  Not the fanciest thing I've ever made, but it has made the most difference.   

Minor improvements every year keep us treading through winter namely a netflix membership and lots of wool.  I hope you stay warm too.  
Thank you meg for letting me guest post for you this week, come visit me at ten finger workshop. 

9 comments:

Juniper said...

Love the mittens! How sweet you are to make them for your friends - winter camping on a lake?!! My that is hard core family fun. YOur curtain look fantastic and how useful they must be. You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

love the mittens! delicious is the word for them. you are inspiring--the size of your heart and your generous spirit. thank you lily.

Juniper said...

we are longing for a blog update!

Villey said...

In cities with real crowded and fast forward life house cleaning is a headache some times. Individuals who own homes, tenants, and one-off occasions especially used domestic cleaning services. This save the time but lose the money when you not get wanted results. Find service providers that can provide you modeled services and some additional services like carpet cleaning.
Regards:Domestic Cleaning

Download DVD Shrink said...

really like the mittens! wonderful is the phrase for them. you are inspiring--the dimensions your middle and your awesome middle. thank you lily.

Anonymous said...

Amazing and wonderful. I love this blog post and i am happy that i have not wasted my time during my stay on this page.
Propranolol Side Effects

Promotional Merchandise said...

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us

Personalised mugs said...

As usual i am searching some useful information, immediately i found this post and gain some useful information great work such a great brain to use.

customised bags said...

Nice site! I enjoy a couple of from the articles which have been written, and particularly the comments posted! I will definately be visiting again!